1 cup quinoa
2 cups chicken stock or water
1 cup baby peas
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)
1/2 red onion, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup mixed chopped fresh basil, flat-leaf parsley, and cilantro leaves
2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon leaves
1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
1/4 cup pomegranate juice
1 tablespoon orange juice concentrate, thawed
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Spread the quinoa out on a dish and pick out any pieces of grit. Rinse the grains thoroughly in a fine-mesh sieve and drain well.
- In a saucepan over high heat, bring the stock to a boil, stir in the quinoa, and return to a boil. Decrease the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed. The quinoa should be tender but not mushy. Remove from the heat and fluff up the quinoa with a fork. Transfer to a serving bowl and let cool.
- While the quinoa is cooking, cook and cool the peas. Place the peas and enough water to cover them in a saucepan. Bring the water to a boil, then decrease the heat to low and simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat to cool.
- Add the cooled peas, feta, onion, bell pepper, mixed herbs, tarragon, and pomegranate seeds to the cooled quinoa. Toss to mix well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the pomegranate juice, orange juice concentrate, vinegar, lemon juice, and olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Just before serving, whisk the dressing again, pour over the salad, and toss.