Water Kefir Soda Supplies:
- Glass Jar (1 quart or half gallon)
- Wooden spoon for stirring (avoid metal)
- Towel, cheesecloth or coffee filter to cover jar
- or a rubber strainer (SMALL Hole one )
- Rubber band
Water Kefir Soda Ingredients:
- 3 TBSP (or more) of hydrated Water Kefir Grains
- 1/4 cup sugar per quart of water (I like organic unprocessed Rapadura sugar) Do not use honey!!
- Non-chlorinated filtered water (If you use reverse osmosis, consider adding a few drops of trace minerals back in or sticking a rinsed pastured egg shell in for minerals) If you just have tap water, boil it to remove chlorine and cool before using
How To Make Water Kefir Soda:
- Dissolve the sugar in small amount of hot water.
- When sugar is dissolved, fill the rest of the jar with cool filtered water and make sure the water is not warm- it must be at room temp!
- Add the hydrated water kefir grains
- Cover with towel, cheesecloth, or coffee filter and rubber band to keep out insects or small children.
- Leave on the counter (preferably at 70-75 degrees) for 24-48 hours. The longer you leave it, the more sugar ferments out, so if you ware limiting carbs, I recommend 48 hours. Don’t leave longer than this! It can starve the grains!
- After 48 hours, strain the water kefir grains through a bamboo or mesh strainer (don’t use metal if you can help it!) pouring the liquid into another container. I use a half gallon jar for the first process and strain into two quart size jars.
- Restart the process by dissolving more sugar in water, adding cool water and adding Water Kefir Grains.
- To make the Water Kefir carbonated, pour a couple ounces of fruit juice into the strained water kefir you just strained. Or add fresh mushed fruit i love Mint and Lime in mine it taste like a Mojito YUM YUM YUM
- Once you’ve added the juice or what ever you like to it , cover the jars tightly with an air tight lid and leave on the counter an additional 1-3 days before drinking or refrigerating.
- Repeat the process!